We all know how quickly time passes, and our skin couldn’t agree more. Often beginning as early as your 30s, skin starts to reveal the first signs of aging, making this decade especially crucial for treating skin conditions that pop up and preventing them from worsening. Whether you’re in your 30s, 40s, 50s or older, you can still have the best skin you’ve ever had by following these golden rules.
- Don’t Skimp on Hydration
Moisturize from head to toe, and don’t forget about your neck and wrinkle-prone décolleté area. As you get older, your skin gets drier and thinner, so moisturizing is important in maintaining a plump and smooth appearance. Better yet, using products with peptides in it to firm your skin, smooth out its tone and boost collagen production.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 / Formulated to address age-related lipid loss, Triple Lipid Restore is a potent corrective moisturizer that features the cholesterol-dominant ratio of naturally occurring lipids needed to replenish and reinforce the skin barrier as it ages. This lightweight yet nourishing cream absorbs quickly and provides improvement in skin smoothness, pore size, fullness and overall radiance.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex / A multi-dimensional treatment, A.G.E. Eye is formulated to improve the appearance of dark circles, wrinkles, puffiness and crepey skin caused by glycation, a process that occurs when excess sugar molecules bind to collagen and elastin fibers; weakening the skin’s underlying support structure. This rich, dry-finishing balm immediately boosts eye area radiance while visibly improving firmness and elasticity for a more well-rested appearance.
- SPF is Your BFF
Sun damage is a major contributor to aged-looking skin, along with more serious conditions like skin cancer. And, believe it or not, the sun negatively affects you even on cloudy days. The golden rule of skin care is to wear sunscreen daily – and make it a broad spectrum one to protect from both UVA and UVB rays. You’ll be less prone to brown spots, wrinkles and redness, and more serious skin health issues.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50 / A tinted, oil-absorbing mousse, that provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with 100% mineral filters. It is enriched with translucent color spheres for a sheer tint and aerated silica capable of absorbing 15 times its weight in oil. This unique formula leaves skin with a long-lasting matte finish, even in high humidity.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50 / This daily use, non-migrating sunscreen designed to protect the delicate eye area including the lids, provides a broad spectrum with 100% mineral filters. It is enriched with translucent color spheres for a sheer tint that evens skin tone. A bonus – this product doubles as a base for eye makeup and is safe for use immediately after professional injectable treatments (aka Botox).
- Introduce Retinol to Your Routine
Often touted as a topical holy grail product, retinol is effective at helping cell turnover, fighting free radicals (which causes wrinkles and other signs of aging), increasing collagen production and helping with hyperpigmentation. Just remember, you don’t need more than a pea-size and use it regularly to maintain a more youthful complexion.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals Retinol 0.3, 0.5, 1.0 / These potent nighttime refining creams feature an encapsulated technology to ensure a steady, even release of pure retinol to the skin and minimize skin irritation. Available in concentrations of 0.3, 0.5, and 1.0 for a range of skin types and retinol tolerances. Studies have shown that retinol helps stimulate cellular turnover and supports the skin’s natural regeneration to improve the appearance of visible signs of aging and minimize blemishes.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight / If you struggle with retinol use like I do; this product is a great alternative. An overnight skin-refining treatment that exfoliates to promote skin clarity and brightness, Glycolic 10 Renew Overnight is formulated with a free acid value of 10% glycolic acid at the optimal pH and concentration proven for effective, even exfoliation with minimal irritation. It improves the appearance of fine lines and promotes a more youthful-looking radiant complexion.
- Load Up on Vitamins
Use vitamins topically in the form of serums, which provide a super dose of these skin care essentials. Vitamin A helps boost collagen and smooth skin texture. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that brightens the skin and works to fade hyperpigmentation. Vitamin E moisturizes skin and neutralizes free radicals.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals C E Ferulic / C E Ferulic is an award-winning Vitamin C combination antioxidant serum proven to deliver advanced environmental protection against atmospheric skin aging. Formulated to meet the necessary parameters for optimal Vitamin C absorption and effectiveness, this synergistic formula neutralizes free radical damage caused by daily exposure to external aggressors, such as UV rays, pollution, and infrared-A radiation. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improve the feel and firmness of your skin.
- Must Have Product – Skinceuticals H.A. Intensifier / H.A. Intensifier is a multi-functional serum proven to amplify and maintain the skin’s hyaluronic acid levels to help restore the natural appearance of plumpness, smoothness and firmness. This serum also improves the appearance of crow’s feet, nasolabial folds and marionette lines while promoting a more taut canvas and an overall refined complexion.